basil pineapple granita

Perhaps one of the advantages of living in Florida is its proximity to the tropics and the bounty it offers. Watermelon, pineapple, mango, passion fruit, lychee, papaya and passion fruit are just a few of the stars. Our fruit bowl tends to overflow with more than we can consume. Different ways to utilize all the extras have been employed as we always end up buying buckets for some reason. Maybe because they are so fresh and too tempting to walk away empty handed.


With the heat of the Florida summer, anything cold is a sure way to go. It is hot here. Really, really hot here ... It is our first full summer in Florida in its entirety. The heat index has been about 100 degrees F just about everyday for some 4 weeks. The only saving grace is the afternoon thunderstorms. Everything cools down with the clouds and the rain leaves us with clean fresh air for the evening; which heats up again with the rising sun the next day. The distinguishing humdity here is hard to ignore. Just ask my hair. Hahaha.


With an abundance of basil from the plant I brought home from Publix last week, I decided on making something with basil. I bought a pineapple just yesterday and somehow it turned golden overnight. I need to use it before it turns bad. Basil and pineapple is a marriage made in heaven. Maybe a basil pineapple granita? 1/2 of the pineapple now nicely chunked in a container chilling in the fridge. The rest blended with sugar, basil and a dash of salt. A few hours in the freezer plus some fork action, voila!


Basil Pineapple Granita

Ingredients:

* 3 cups pineapple chunks
* 5 to 6 basil leaves ( more or less to your liking)
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 cup of water
* dash of salt

Liquify all ingredients in a blender and pour in a freezer safe container. Put the container in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours. After the first hour, remove from freezer every half hour or so and scrape the surface with a fork. The texture should resemble large granules of sea salt. Keep in freezer covered until ready to serve.

I did struggle with my shots and the granita started to melt a bit. Even the basil began to wilt! My photography challenges continue to make life very interesting!!

Comments

  1. Well, one more recipe to 'borrow' from you, this one I'm going to make, not the husband. Have you tried it with some vodka? :)
    The first photo Ginny looks like a paint!

    ps.: my hair would always let me know when it's humid, I look like a lion! hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will join you wrt wild hair Regina!!
      I don't do well with alcohol so no vodka. But I have seen recipes with gin and other hard liquor so please give it a try and let me know ;-)
      It's been hot here so I have been having something cold (and sweet) every day. It's showing on my waitline. Yikes!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

swimming with manatees

warm smoked salmon ... and bike riding on sanibel island